Spirit Rock's Cooks work with other Cooks to prepare meals for all residential retreats, internal meetings and special events. They also train and supervise retreatants performing work meditations in the kitchen, and model behavior that supports mindfulness practice in the retreat environment.
- Prepare and serve tasty and nutritious lacto‐ovo vegetarian meals on schedule.
- Ability to follow recipes and adjust quantities as needed.
- Ability to collaborate on new recipes and create independently as needed.
- Maintain an orderly and efficient kitchen work space.
- Ensure the work environment meets or surpasses hygiene and safety standards set by regulations.
- Train and support retreatants in kitchen tasks.
- Provide ongoing guidance and problem solving support to retreatants and other cooks as needed.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Attend kitchen staff meetings and all staff meetings as scheduled.
- Attend staff training on First Aid/CPR, emergency preparedness and others as assigned.
- Keep up to date with kitchen‐related emails, schedules and kitchen updates.
- Help put away food deliveries, keep the kitchen clean and stocked, and assist with retreatant work meditations.
- Other duties as necessary and/or assigned by the Kitchen Manager and/or the Assistant Kitchen Manager.
- Performs daily recordkeeping tasks including quantity logs, inventory and recipe modification.
- One to three years of professional cooking experience focused on organic ingredients and seasonal produce, in a high volume vegetarian kitchen, preferably in a contemplative work setting.
- Flexibility in schedule on a daily and weekly basis, and ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to take direction; ability to function as both team leader and team player.
- Ability to remain calm under kitchen pressure, and ability to work compassionately with retreatants.
- Must have reliable transportation and the ability to get to the Spirit Rock kitchen; this is a nonresidential position.
- Physical: Required to lift, carry, push or pull objects up to 50 pounds. Frequently required to perform moderately difficult manipulative tasks such as lifting large pans of food in and out of the oven, carrying heavy boxes of produce, performing repetitive motions of cutting, stirring and whisking; Ability to work in a standing position for up to 8 hours in the kitchen.