Overview of the Critical Role You’ll Play at Spirit Rock
The Executive Assistant position is a demanding, dynamic, and responsive position that ensures the highest quality, cohesive, and optimal operation of all functions of the executive office at Spirit Rock Meditation Center. You are the right-hand person for Spirit Rock’s Executive Director (ED) and proactively set the stage to make the best use of her time, efforts, and leadership in stewarding the whole $9 million-dollar organization.
You’ll be responsible for a wide range of administrative and operational systems and tasks, including providing key daily-hourly support to the Executive Director, as well as strategically managing the completion of initiatives, activities, meetings and events in accordance with the ED’s organization-wide objectives with the expectation that the EA generally works the same hours as the ED; including some after business hours most commonly in support of governance preparation.
This position requires a poised, self-motivated individual who demonstrates initiative, flexibility, maturity, excellent judgement, steadiness, and resilience. This person must display exceptional communication skills, represent Spirit Rock/ED in style and tone, maintain a high level of professionalism and complete confidentiality, and offer consistent enthusiasm, willingness, and ability to jump in, identify and take on new and diverse projects.
You’ll find this is a rare opportunity for an energetic and experienced professional to support a dynamic Executive Director, with an extensive scope of responsibility, who was awarded last year’s Excellence in Leadership for Executive Directors award from the Center for Volunteering and Non-Profit Leadership.
The Executive is a demanding and rewarding part of the organization, strategically and skillfully managing a high volume workload, complexity, meetings, emails, and pace. This position is for someone who thrives in these conditions!
Essential Responsibilities You’ll Hold at the Highest Levels of the Organization
Executive Director Operations (70%)
- Provides the full range of hourly/daily highly responsive and fast paced administrative support to the ED including anticipating, preventing, and solving problems as they arise quickly and effectively
- Prepares materials for all ED meetings including minutes, agenda, and meeting packets; ensures timely follow-up of next steps and action items
- Prioritizes and manages multiple executive level projects simultaneously
- For all matters concerning the Executive office, discerns who the appropriate decision maker is and ensures decisions are made or redirected to the appropriate party
- Drafts, edits, and proofs key communications, memos, emails, and creates PPT presentations and/or documents with strong visuals/graphics to effectively communicate with large groups of people internally or externally in community
- Follows through on action items on ED’s behalf by communicating with stakeholders
- Builds and maintains exceptional and cooperative working relationships organization-wide
Board of Directors and Governance Support (30%)
- Acts as primary contact for all Board and Committee members
- Tracks and develops meeting agendas in conjunction with ED and Committee Chairs
- Takes minutes at meetings, distributes, and follows up on action items
- Assists Board members and Founding Teachers with administrative requests
- Five (5) or more years supporting “C” level executives, preferably in a non-profit environment with experience working with a Board of Directors.
- Extensive experience handling a wide range of administrative support functions requiring a high level of skill and self-management.
- Expert skills in Microsoft office suite required; experience with Zoom (or other videoconferencing systems), Survey Monkey, Adobe Acrobat, and Raisers Edge strongly preferred.
- Experience managing multiple priorities using higher level thinking with minimal supervision.
- Sincere alignment with Spirit Rock’s mission and values required; knowledge of Theravada teachings and ability to communicate about Buddhism and meditation practice is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree highly preferred or a combination of education and work experience
- Key Qualities and Abilities
- Energetic, enthusiastic, self-motivated, and hard-working team player
- Comfortable working longer hours during peak times of projects
- Thrive in a rigorous, ever-changing, demanding non-profit work environment
- Outstanding communication skills (written & verbal) that get results
- No-nonsense attitude with superb time management and prioritization skills
- A strong work ethic, and a willingness to go above and beyond standard expectations
- Readiness to anticipate and resolve problems before they arise.
- Ability to lead as well as work collaboratively (and know which is needed when)
- Constant diplomacy, discretion and judgment
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously amidst regular interruptions—and still maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to promote a positive organizational culture and fulfillment
- Setting an example for others by modeling the ED’s transparent, collaborative work-style in all interactions with internal and external constituents